A citizen company
Mustela is part of Expanscience Laboratories, a major player in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic sectors, committed to sustainable practices.
Since 2004, Expanscience Laboratories has been a member of the United Nations’ Global Compact . This agreement, adopted by nearly 5,000 companies across the world, invites companies to support and apply a list of 10 essential values within their sphere of influence, in the fields of human rights, labor standards, the environment and in the fight against corruption.
As a signatory to the pact, Expanscience Laboratories has launched a sustainable development strategy, which, in 2007, led to an initial practical step: the adoption of a detailed 5-year action plan.
Today, the values of sustainable development are an integral part of all Expanscience Laboratories’ activities and a set of principles is applied on a daily basis:
1. Protect biodiversity
In 2008, Expanscience Laboratories launched a strategy with its supplier in Peru, in order to reduce biopiracy (the monopolization of nature and its resources) and protect the biodiversity of the Andes.
2. Establish sustainable, respectful relationships with suppliers
Expanscience assesses the sustainable development practices of its suppliers and encourages them to make progress in this area. 75% of the company’s leaflets and brochures produced are printed on paper from sustainably managed forests, guaranteed by a PEFC or FSC (Forest Stewardship Council certification) label.
3. Minimize the environmental impact of the company’s activities
- On the Expanscience Laboratories industrial site in Epernon, an energy saving system was introduced in 2008, which has reduced CO2 emissions by 177 tons per year.
- Also in Epernon, each office waste bin has two separate compartments for sorting waste: in three months, over 2 tons of paper were collected for recycling.
- By 2010, the CO2 emissions of the company’s fleet of vehicles should fall to 130g / km.
- Expanscience works to improve safety at work for its employees, by implementing awareness and training actions. In 2006, a road safety training course was put in place.
- The company encourages sustainable practices by offering, for example, training in responsible purchasing or eco-design of cosmetic products (2008).
- The box and information leaflet for Mustela Bébé Cleansing Milk (200ml) have been removed, saving over 6 tons of paper and cardboard per year.
- Thanks to the good recycling potential of Mustela Bébé containers, 122 tons of plastic were collected and recycled in 2007.
- Expanscience Laboratories’ partners (health professionals, students, local authorities etc.) are regularly invited to visit the company’s industrial site.
- Expanscience works with various committees of scientific experts to produce guides which disperse their knowledge to their peers. For example, pharmacists are invited to take part in the production of Expanscience, Le Guide, a publication aimed at this target group.
- Regular meetings are held with groups of scientific experts, representatives of NGOs and associations etc.
4. Develop good management practices
5. Limit the environmental impact of product packaging
6. Transparent communication with partners
If you would like to find out more about Expanscience Laboratories’ commitments and practical actions for sustainable development, please visit our website: www.sustainable-development-expanscience.com