Protecting your baby in the winter
Providing relief to your baby with a cold
Your baby has a cold. Here are a few simple things you can do to soothe your baby while waiting for him to recover:
- Clean his nose with saline 2 to 3 times a day, preferably before meals, naps, and bedtime. This can be done as follows:
- Lay your baby down on his back, with his head to the side.
- Pour the saline into the higher of his two nostrils.
- The saline will drain out the other nostril. Wipe his nose and repeat, starting this time from the other nostril.
- Finish by removing mucus with a nasal aspirator, if you think this step is necessary.
- Make sure your baby is drinking regularly, particularly if he has a fever; it is very important that he not become dehydrated. If you are breastfeeding your baby, give him the chance to feed often.
- To help your baby breathe easier, lift his head slightly from his mattress by placing a small pillow under the head of the mattress.
- Do not hesitate to put your baby to bed as soon as the first signs of fatigue appear.
These measures are all necessary, albeit unpleasant for your baby. To help calm and comfort your baby, you can gently massage his chest with a hydrating and purifying balm designed to help clear up the respiratory tract. Be sure to choose a balm that is appropriate for your baby, free of terpenes (camphor, menthol and eucalyptus), which are potentially toxic substances and banned is some countries from cosmetic products intended for children under 36 months of age (recommendations provided by the AFSSAPS*).
*French health safety agency for healthcare products