Discomfort during pregnancy
Pregnancy is often accompanied by poor circulation, which can become very uncomfortable. You may have a sensation of heaviness in your legs and swelling in your hands and feet, and you may develop varicose veins. These phenomena are particularly intense in the summer, because of the heat, and at the end of your pregnancy because of the weight of your belly.
A few simple tricks can reduce these problems:
- Avoid sources of heat.
- Do not stay standing without moving around for too long.
- Do not cross your legs when seated, as this may impair your circulation.
- Raise the foot of your bed or mattress by at least 15 cm (6 inches).
- Spray your legs with cold water on a regular basis.
- Apply a special product to relieve the fatigue in your legs.
If your circulation problems persist or worsen, visit your doctor, who may prescribe support hose or medication.