Discomfort during pregnancy
During the final trimester, your belly will become very heavy and prominent. It will force you to arch your back significantly to keep your balance, a position which can be rough on your lumbar vertebrae. Here are a few tips for protecting them:
- Sit or stand as straight as possible.
- Wear flat shoes.
- Avoid physical effort.
- Get into the habit of pushing your pelvis forward in a way that brings the baby’s weight back toward your spine, reducing the arching of your back.
- When you need to pick something up from the floor (or lift an older child), squat down rather than bending from the waist.
- At night, sleep on a firm mattress and place a thin cushion under the small of your back.
- If the pains persist, visit a physiotherapist or osteopath.