Aching or heavy legs - Advice from experts
Several factors can increase the risk of vascular insufficiency during pregnancy:
- Heredity: if your mom has had circulatory issues, you run a higher risk of experiencing them yourself
- Working in a standing position and shuffling. Prolonged sitting can also disrupt venous return.
- A sedentary lifestyle and lack of physical exercise.
- Excess body weight prior to pregnancy, or significant weight gain during pregnancy.
- Previous pregnancies: the risk of venous insufficiency increases with the number of previous pregnancies carried to term: 23% for the first pregnancy and 31% for the fourth.