Avoiding smoking during pregnancy
A few tips for giving up smoking
It's never too late to give up smoking, even if you are already pregnant. Giving up smoking will reduce the risks for you as well as for your child. If you cannot find anything to replace the desire to smoke, there are a few tips for helping you to stop:
- Drink a glass of water every time you feel like a cigarette.
- Have sugar-free chewing gum or a sweet instead of cigarette.
- Do something relaxing, such as yoga, sophrology, swimming or walking.
- Give your hands something to do, such as a creative leisure activity, reading, DIY, etc.
- Avoid placing yourself in situations where you will want to smoke: drinking coffee, hanging around the entrances to bars, or frequenting smokers can all make you want to start smoking again.
- If you are unable to give up by yourself, feel free to make an appointment with someone specialized in helping people to give up. They can help you cut down or stop smoking altogether. Psychological support can also be very helpful for people trying to give up smoking. Talk to your midwife or doctor: they can put you in touch with a suitable specialist.